Re: ndiswrapper as a module

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 05:50:19PM -0600, Marvin Gerardo Aguero Salazar wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I've been trying to install my wireless card. As far as I can see I
> would need a module called ndiswrapper.
>
> I"ve been traying to install ndiswrapper as a module to no avail.
>
> I must be doing something wrong, but I downloaded the ndiswrapper
> package off the web, but it didn"t install the module. It only installed
> the program needed to install the INF driver.
>
> Researching further, I downloaded the ndiswrapper-source and apparently
> it includes the module, but I need to compile it. Here is where I have
>  problems.
>
> The 'make all' command tells me:
>
> You don"t seem to have source for your kernel; install them in /usr/src,
>  link /lib/modules/2.4.25-1-386/build to it and try again.
>

> Well, I have the source and have linked to it, but still doesn"t compile.
>
> Looking at the makefile it seems to me that it is looking for a file
> called $(KSRC)/include/linux/versions.h
>
> Well, in fact that file is not under my /usr/src/kernet-source-2-4.25 tree.
>
> Could you please give me a hand on this?
>
> I want to set up my wireless card. I am new to this but I have been
>  researching this issue for a week already.

Hi Marvin,

It seems to me that you are building the modules by hand, option four in
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-source/README.Debian. You did read that file,
right? The first option is the most preferable, although it needs you to
learn make-kpkg. Not too hard, but I get the feeling you just want to
get your card running as soon as possible. Well, then... for the manual
build:

Enter you kernel source directory, copy your /boot/config-kernelversion
to .config and do a `make oldconfig && make dep'. This will make your
kernel source configured for your current configuration, just as if you
were about to compile a new kernel. You don't need to, of course, but
now you have your version.h sitting in the right place, :-)

Good luck,

David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!