Re: ccing

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 01:12:07PM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
> I agree with and do a most of what you and others say.  The *only* place
> I think T-bird is more efficient is for my case of a large number of
> mail folders with three levels of structure visible simultaneously on
> the screen.  After I choose the folder with the mouse I could easily use
> a mutt style interface.

I think nobody is trying to convince you to switch to mutt (at least I
am not). As long as it doesnt mess things up I dont care what MUA other
people are using.

> Faster as far as processor time, etc. is not relevant *if the machine is
> fast enough* since the machine still has to wait for the user to do
> something.

Right. I dont think he was talking about execution time. I also think
that typing a single key to perform an action is much faster than having
to move the mouse to an icon, click it, move to the text input box,
click again, release the mouse and move your hand to the keyboard
to eventually start typing.

> When GUI means point and click there may only be a very few places this
> is useful for experienced geeks.

I wouldnt call myself an "experienced geek" but I need X really only
for mozilla and xterms in day-to-day use.

> OTOH having X serve up multiple XTerms
> at a much higher resolution is certainly an improvement over seeing one
> text-mode screen at a time in many situations

Thats true. But I observed an interesting effect when I replaced an
old 15" at 800x600 with a 19" at 1280x1024. I tended to accumulate lots
of xterms with documentation (man and info pages etc.) and more and
more didnt even try to remember what they have to say and merely "copied"
everything. Not good if you want to become an "experienced geek" ;)

Because of this and because it feels so UNIX-ish I mostly work at a
serial terminal. Now when you read a man page, for some system call
for example, I *have* to remember it because you cannot have the man
page and text editor visible at the same time.

Regards
Matthias