Re: [OT Why GB English is different] Re: Mozilla firefox en-gb

On Fri, 07 May 2004 00:33, William Ballard wrote:
> On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 12:12:06AM +1200, cr wrote:
> > Yes I know exactly which meaning of the word 'affect' you were using.
> > Since your comment was IIRC in response to my post, I wondered if you
> > thought I was American, or were you referring to someone else?
>
> Nope, I'm American, and even though I like flavour and colour and find
> your use of "billion" and "trillion" intriguing because you can count
> higher without having to use words like sexigiliion, still I have to not
> adopt too many British customs because it gets goofy.

Okay, you were referring to yourself, then, I take it.   It is of course
entirely acceptable to refer to oneself in mildly deprecatory tones.   I have
occasion to do it all the time   <g>

> For instance, if I were to start using the British billion, it would
> just be dumb.  And if I start talking about pubs and fags, people roll
> their eyes.  I like *a lot* of Britishisms.  One of my favorites is to
> call a carton of cigarettes "Two Hundred" -- although I won't call them
> fags.  "Give me 200, please."
>
> Another real problem for me is I *really* like the Contenintal style of
> writing the dates: dd/mm/yy.

That's the standard British style, actually.   I've never used any other.

I remember a TV western (!) from years ago where some plot point hinged on
the date of a will and it turned out that the writer of the will was British
- so '5/12/97' was 7 months later than originally assumed....

> But you can cause *endless* confusion by
> not just going with the flow.  I had a Math prof. once who was also sort
> of my philosopical/Jungian psych. "mentor" tell me that one should just
> use Month Day, Year because in our culture the year is usually well
> known, and it is important to contexualize the Month and Day quickly --

Sounds like a 'just so' story to me   ;)

> but he mostly was telling me why the fuck did I want to go be difficult

Yeah, that sounds more likely.    :)

cr