Re: [OT Why GB English is different] Re: Mozilla firefox en-gb

On (05/05/04 00:46), William Ballard wrote:
> Would Brits feel that this is how we should count:
>
> 1,222,333,444,555,666,777,888
>                         ^thou
>                     ^mill
>                 ^thou mill
>             ^bill
>         ^thou bill
>     ^mill bill
> ^trill
>
> One trillion, two hundred twenty two million billion, three hundred
> thirty three thousand billion, four hundred forty four billion, five
> hundred fifty five thousand million, six hundred sixty six million,
> seven hundred seventy seven thousand, eight hundred eighty eight.
>
> Have I got the philosophy correct?
>
> Sorry for the OT-ness, but I find this fascinating.
The logic may be correct but accepted parlance is that 1,000,000,000 is
now a billion both sides of the Atlantic driven mainly by financial
markets and reporting thereon.  Bill Gates's billions are discussed in
UK and USA and as yet, he's not accumulated $1,000,000,000,000 plus ....

Regards

Clive

--
http://www.clivemenzies.co.uk