Re: grub/dual-boot problem

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 05:23:53AM -0700, Richard Weil wrote:

| Everything now works, but I do have a question: I have
| boot on a separate partition from /, so according to
| what I've read, I should have done:
|
| grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/hda
|
| This then installs into /boot/boot/grub, which seems
| sort of silly.
|
| So, I just did grub-install /dev/hda and it installs
| into /boot/grub.
|
| Is there a problem with this?

That is just fine, as long as you make sure all paths are correct.
Remember that grub doesn't mount any disks or partitions.  Therefore
every disk and partition is treated as '/' by grub.  So if you say
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/foo
then that will fail because (hd0,1) has no directory /boot.  Two
solutions are 1) don't use /boot in paths in grub or 2) make a symlink
so that the directory exists (# cd /boot ; ln -s . boot).

-D

--
Q: What is the difference between open-source and commercial software?
A: If you have a problem with commercial software you can call a phone