Re: First Debian install was a fiasco

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I thought I could use packages from unstable for non-critical parts of the system. When they break, I can just go back to the version in testing/stable, no?

You could, if you know how to. If you don't do it right, you'll end up using everything from unstable. Also, downgraded is a very big hassle. For a first install, it is much easier to stick with one release and when you get more experience use packages from multiple releases.

Thanks, I'll go for stable with backports or testing then.

Cheers,
Tim