Re: grub/dual-boot problem

Just a small update, since I'm sure someone will
someday search and find this thread ...

I got it working. The grub configuration in menu.1st
was fine; windows had overwritten the MBR. I don't
know if it's possible, but I *may* not have installed
grub to the MBR the first time (I don't recall running
install-grub /dev/hda) -- by marking the partition as
bootable, it sort of worked.

To fix it, I booted using gnoppix, mounted my /root
directory and chroot'ed to it, mounted my /boot
partition from there, then I ran install-grub and
update-grub. Useful resources: HOWTO on Debianplanet,
the discussion below it, and the rescue FAQ for
Knoppix.

Everything now works, but I do have a question: I have
boot on a separate partition from /, so according to
what I've read, I should have done:

grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/hda

This then installs into /boot/boot/grub, which seems
sort of silly.

So, I just did grub-install /dev/hda and it installs
into /boot/grub.

Is there a problem with this?

Richard