Re: grub/dual-boot problem

Chris Metzler wrote:

> Alex Malinovich <demonbane@the-love-shack.net> wrote:
> > bootloader. This happened to me before, but you said you installed
> > Debian AFTER you installed Windows, so this shouldn't be an issue.
>
> I agree that it shouldn't be an issue; but that's very much what
> this smells like.  If he's not seeing "GRUB" or even briefly seeing
> the menu he's set up for grub, I bet the copy of grub in the MBR
> got trashed by Windows somehow.

I'd agree his grub partition numbering must be right - he managed to get
grub to boot into Linux and XP at least once.

I can't help wondering if the fact that his /boot partition was _marked_
bootable is a problem.  Linux certainly doesn't need to have a partition
marked bootable, and iirc Windows (at least use to) have a problem with
multiple bootable partitions.  I though earlier versions simply refused to
boot.  Perhaps XP noted the "wrong" bootable partition and merrily rewrote
things to match its version of reality.

derek