Re: udev: how to do it right?

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 05:48:46PM +0200, Sebastiaan wrote:

| I also found the solution to my second problem. It was a lot simpler than
| it looked like. I had to load the modules for ide-disk and ide-cd and the
| device nodes/trees are created automatigcally. Devfs and the old dev made
| me lazy, since the kernel always loaded necessary modules on it's own
| (and according the FAQ this is not going to be implemented in udev).
|
| This raised another problem however. After loading the ide-disk module,
| udev is not fast enough with creating the device nodes, causing the boot
| process to go into single user mode when it tries to mount an IDE harddisk
| right after inserting the module.
|
| Of course there are simple solutions to this, but I don't think it's
| appropiate. Should I report this as a bug?

The simple solution is to load ide-disk sooner.  To do so :
    1)  list it in /etc/modules
    2)  run 'dpkg-reconfigure kernel-image-2.6....'

Then ide-disk will be put in the initrd image and loaded before the
root fs is mounted.  Then udev will have plenty of time to create the
/dev nodes before any userspace application tries to access them.  (I
know it works because my on-disk /dev only contains console null and
zero and all of my disks are IDE and I have no problems with
unattended boots)

-D

--
"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
    --Jim Elliot