mozilla 1.5 spell checker does not work?

Hi,

I am using Mozilla 1.5 on Sarge (kernel 2.4.24-1-686). When composing news in the Newsreader, I notice that if I run the spell checker (by clicking on the Spell icon), it doesn't catch any spelling mistakes. Suggestion what I am missing here and how to make it work?

Thanks,
->HS
--
(Remove all underscores,_if any_, from my email address to get the correct one. Apologies for the inconvenience, but this is to reduce spam.)