Re: Stripping /dev post udev?

On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 06:32:07AM -0700, Scott Robinson wrote:
| What are the bare minimum devices necessary to boot up to udev?

/dev/console

I statically create /dev/null and /dev/zero too.  (why not?)

| I just migrated from devfs, and have returned to having a filesystem
| full of useless device nodes.

udev starts by copying the existing /dev into the ramdisk it mounts
over /dev.  This is why you see nodes for devices you don't have.

Solution :
    Boot the installer CD or Knoppix or something.
    # cd /
    # mv dev _static_dev
    # mkdir dev
    # cd dev
    # mknod c 5 1 console
    # chmod 600 console
  (if desired, also create null and zero with proper perms and ownership)
    # reboot

-D

not sure about the former.
        Albert Einstein