Re: udev: how to do it right?

High,

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004, John L Fjellstad wrote:

> Sebastiaan <S.Breedveld@ewi.tudelft.nl> writes:
>
> > Another problem I have been running into are the permissions. I have a
> > nvidia card, so I added this to links.udev:
> > M nvidia0       c 195 0
> > M nvidia7       c 195 7
> > M nvidiactl     c 195 255
> >
> > These get created on boot, but with the wrong permissions. Adding stuff to
> > udev.permissions doesn't help in any way:
> >
> > nvidia*:root:root:0666
> >
> > It looks most like udev.permissions is completely ignored.
> >

> > So 2 questions have raised:
> > - how to let udev create device nodes/trees in advance/on it's own
> > - how to set permissions right for manually created devices
>
> Just realized something.  For nodes created in /etc/udev/links.udev, the
> udev.permissions are completely ignored because those nodes aren't
> created by udev (udev only creates node exported through sysfs, and the
> nvidia stuff hasn't been ported to sysfs yet).  For me, using the
> upstream packages, I put the permissions for the nodes I create in
> /etc/init.d/udev file, but you might want to check with the Debian
> maintainer to see if there is a Debian way to do it (there might be some
> stuff in the doc directory).

Sounds reasonable. I hope that there is a 'nice' way to do this (under
devfs there was, and also needs to be considering the amount of
third party devices).

I also found the solution to my second problem. It was a lot simpler than
it looked like. I had to load the modules for ide-disk and ide-cd and the
device nodes/trees are created automatigcally. Devfs and the old dev made
me lazy, since the kernel always loaded necessary modules on it's own
(and according the FAQ this is not going to be implemented in udev).

This raised another problem however. After loading the ide-disk module,
udev is not fast enough with creating the device nodes, causing the boot
process to go into single user mode when it tries to mount an IDE harddisk
right after inserting the module.

Of course there are simple solutions to this, but I don't think it's
appropiate. Should I report this as a bug?

Thanks,
Sebastiaan

--

English written by Dutch people is easily recognized by the improper use of 'In principle ...'

The software box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.

Als Pacman in de jaren '80 de kinderen zo had be?nvloed zouden nu veel jongeren rondrennen
in donkere zalen terwijl ze pillen eten en luisteren naar monotone electronische muziek.
(Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989)