Re: udev: how to do it right?

Sebastiaan <S.Breedveld@ewi.tudelft.nl> writes:

> Another problem I have been running into are the permissions. I have a
> nvidia card, so I added this to links.udev:
> M nvidia0       c 195 0
> M nvidia7       c 195 7
> M nvidiactl     c 195 255
>
> These get created on boot, but with the wrong permissions. Adding stuff to
> udev.permissions doesn't help in any way:
>
> nvidia*:root:root:0666
>
> It looks most like udev.permissions is completely ignored.
>

> So 2 questions have raised:
> - how to let udev create device nodes/trees in advance/on it's own
> - how to set permissions right for manually created devices

Just realized something.  For nodes created in /etc/udev/links.udev, the
udev.permissions are completely ignored because those nodes aren't
created by udev (udev only creates node exported through sysfs, and the
nvidia stuff hasn't been ported to sysfs yet).  For me, using the
upstream packages, I put the permissions for the nodes I create in
/etc/init.d/udev file, but you might want to check with the Debian
maintainer to see if there is a Debian way to do it (there might be some
stuff in the doc directory).

--
John L. Fjellstad