Re: Can no longer use ctrl-alt-del in new X - bug or feature?

Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> said on Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:40:50 +0100:
> On 02 Apr 2004, Michal R. Hoffmann wrote:
> > s. keeling wrote:
> > []

> > >ctrl-alt-f1 then ctrl-alt-f7 to go back.
> >
> > rather Alt-F7 to go back (without Ctrl).
> >
> > --
> > ***  Michal R. Hoffmann        |    <mailto:misiek@knm.org.pl>      ***
> > ***             -= member of: KNM, ZUKiH, HCKU =-                   ***
> >

> None of these do anything since upgrading to the version of X in Sarge
> (4.3 I think -can't remember the number).
>
> I'm not using gnome or kde - just plain icewm.

FYI, X 4.3 has much different XKB handling that previous versions -
they broke how Xemacs (but not Emacs) handles shifted function keys,
so Xemacs only sees the unshifted function key.

Naturally, both sets of developers blame each other, but it sounds
like X are more in the wrong, because apparently there is only one
person in the world who understands the new XKB functionaility (which
only works on Linux anyway so any workaround on Xemacs's part has to
be disabled for everything else), and he hasn't yet documented any of
it, and `xmodmap -pke | grep F1` shows that the function keys are now
pointing to VT_SWITCH_CONSOLE (or something similar) instead of their
correct entries. Maybe you have changed this as follows:

I've got this in my Xmodmap file:
!seems X4.3 broke Xemacs. Try removing these again later
!souce the following only on telluirum - see .xmodmap-tellurium
keycode  67 = F1
keycode  68 = F2
keycode  69 = F3
keycode  70 = F4
keycode  71 = F5
keycode  72 = F6
keycode  73 = F7
keycode  74 = F8
keycode  75 = F9
keycode  76 = F10
keycode  95 = F11
keycode  96 = F12

But this disables the ability to switch consoles. So you can either
have working Xemacs or you can have working console switching, but not
both.

Hell - n. The current residence of Mr. Noah Webster, Lexicographer.
 (Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_)