Re: Can no longer use ctrl-alt-del in new X - bug or feature?

Tim Connors(tconnors+linuxdebianuser1080903557@astro.swin.edu.au) is reported to have said:
> Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> said on Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:40:50 +0100:
> > On 02 Apr 2004, Michal R. Hoffmann wrote:
> > > s. keeling wrote:
> > > []

> > > rather Alt-F7 to go back (without Ctrl).
> > >
> > > --
> > > ***  Michal R. Hoffmann        |    <mailto:misiek@knm.org.pl>      ***
> > > ***             -= member of: KNM, ZUKiH, HCKU =-                   ***
> > >

> > None of these do anything since upgrading to the version of X in Sarge
> > (4.3 I think -can't remember the number).
> >
> > I'm not using gnome or kde - just plain icewm.
>
> FYI, X 4.3 has much different XKB handling that previous versions -
> they broke how Xemacs (but not Emacs) handles shifted function keys,
> so Xemacs only sees the unshifted function key.
>
> Naturally, both sets of developers blame each other, but it sounds
> like X are more in the wrong, because apparently there is only one
> person in the world who understands the new XKB functionaility (which
> only works on Linux anyway so any workaround on Xemacs's part has to
> be disabled for everything else), and he hasn't yet documented any of
> it, and `xmodmap -pke | grep F1` shows that the function keys are now
> pointing to VT_SWITCH_CONSOLE (or something similar) instead of their
> correct entries. Maybe you have changed this as follows:
>
> I've got this in my Xmodmap file:
> !seems X4.3 broke Xemacs. Try removing these again later
> !souce the following only on telluirum - see .xmodmap-tellurium
> keycode  67 = F1
> keycode  68 = F2
> keycode  69 = F3
> keycode  70 = F4
> keycode  71 = F5
> keycode  72 = F6
> keycode  73 = F7
> keycode  74 = F8
> keycode  75 = F9
> keycode  76 = F10
> keycode  95 = F11
> keycode  96 = F12
>
> But this disables the ability to switch consoles. So you can either
> have working Xemacs or you can have working console switching, but not
> both.

Strange...

bash-2.05b$ dpkg -l xbase-* xserver-* |grep ii
ii  xbase-clients  4.3.0-7        miscellaneous X clients
ii  xserver-common 4.3.0-7        files and utilities common to all X servers
ii  xserver-xfree8 4.3.0-7        the XFree86 X server

bssh-2.05b$ xmodmap -pke |grep F1
keycode  67 = F1 XF86_Switch_VT_1
keycode  76 = F10 XF86_Switch_VT_10
keycode  95 = F11 XF86_Switch_VT_11
keycode  96 = F12 XF86_Switch_VT_12

  I see other oddities with X4.3, but not what you cite.

  Wayne

--
Of course I know how to copy disks. Where's the xerox machine?