Re: debian and women? from DWN #10

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 11:40:18PM -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> Yeah, hyphenation irritates me because, taken to its logical extreme, it
> can't continue.  I thought it would be cool to invent our own last name,
> but my s.o. is hyper-aware of the fact that he is the only person of his
> generation with his last name *in the entire country*.  So actually, his
> protestations against changing his last name held more merit than most.

You can just follow the Spanish custom: nobody changes the name,
everyone has at least two equally valid family names. Your first
family name is your father's family name, your second family name is
your mother's first family name. The last guy to win the elections in
Spain is (Rodríguez[1st] Zapatero[2nd]), however, he is called either
way, i.e., [1st] or [2nd]. It is even the custom in Spanish speaking
countries that usually in the school they will call you by the most
resounding or pictorial of your family names.