Re: installation, Linux source code

Sorry, had to run off for a couple of days.

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:51:37 -0700
"Monique Y. Herman" <spam@bounceswoosh.org> wrote:
>On 2004-03-12, Chris Metzler penned:
>> On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:32:36 -0600
>> John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Now do likewise for the general media.  The difference?  The articles
>>> are always written in an authoritative tone, and there is _no_
>>> discussion and_no_ comments.
>>
>> I'm confused as to what you're trying to say.  It seems like you're
>> saying that one source of crappy information (e.g. a news story in
>> your local newspaper) isn't as good as a different source of crappy
>> information (i.e. /.), because even though /.'s information is
>> crappy, there's a lot *more* of it.  (since, after all, it's in that
>> discussion and commentary at /. that the crappiness resides)
>
> Er, no.  At least, that's not how I understood it.
>
> As I understand it,
>
> Both official media sources and slashdot can contain inaccurate
> statements.

I agree.

> The difference is, slashdot actually offers the chance for
> uncensored peer review and commentary.

I agree.  My claims are that 1) gross inaccuracies are even *more*
frequent on /. than they are in more conventional media; 2) useful
corrections and clarifications of those gross inaccuracies on /.,
while sometimes present, are much much less frequent and don't really
come close to stemming the tide of bad information; 3) finding those
corrections, and indeed the good posts in general, takes a lot of
time and effort.

> Moderation isn't censorship --
> you can still read the comments if you want to.

I agree.  And some of the best posts on /. -- including many of
the corrections of posts that are just-plain-wrong -- come from
anonymous posters.  Unfortunately, usually in order to see them,
you have to be willing to wade through ASCII art of people pulling
their butt cheeks apart, racism/bestiality posts, crapflooding,
etc.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)