Re: installation, Linux source code

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 23:15:23 -0600
Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
> Marc Wilson wrote:
> >On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 10:46:12AM -0600, Kent West wrote:
>>
>>> Don't you read Slashdot?
>>>

>> I really hope there's a smiley that's supposed to be there that I just
>> can't see.
>>
>> Why would anyone *ever* consider SlashCrap any sort of news source
>> worth paying attention to?  It's an embarassment to the FOSS community.
>>

> That's pretty much what Colin said also. But my answer is the same.
> Slashdot (actually the talkbacks) is where you get all sorts of
> viewpoints, not just the one or two that the newsies give you.

Yes, you get a lot of viewpoints at /.  The problem is that:

30% are trolls;
30% are expressions of opinion without substantive explanation/
	justification (the equivalent of "Me too!" or "Not me!");
30% are "explanations" of configuration procedures, or software
	capabilities, or scientific issues, or whatever --
	things about which one can be factual -- that are
	absolutely wrong;
10% are legitimate content, with insightful opinions, or correct
	explanations of coding principles or configuration options
	or the implications of scientific paradigms or whatever
	(but of that 10%, half of it is redundant to something
	posted earlier in the discussion).

. . .so you're really reading for about 5-10% of the discussion
content.  If that.  And it takes time to sort through all the crap
to find the worthwhile comments.  And on those occasions where I
sit down and read /., I get to the end of an hour, and look at
what I actually *learned* over that hour, and think "man, I could
have spent that time a lot better."

My "expertise," such as it is, is not in computers, but in physics
-- an area of physics that gets a lot of stories on /.  When I
hear about a relevant story there, or see its headline in an RSS
aggregator, or whatever, I often go there and check it out, even
though I always end up frustrated and regret it later.  About 75%
of the comments in such stories that make a scientific assertion
are just plain wrong.  In the past, I've jumped in and tried to
clarify things, and post what the paradigm in the field really
implies, and all that; and I've seen a couple of other people
from the field doing the same.  But in the sea of misinformation,
it feels like trying to put out a housefire with a squirt gun.
And I read all the complete and utter bollocks there, and I can't
help but wonder "Jeez, I wonder if it's even worse than I thought
in discussions on other topics where I *don't* have much expertise,
and thus will spot even less of the just-plain-wrong content?"

For me, at least, there's the "somebody else" test:  occasionally
/. links to things that I find interesting; and when I look at /.
and I see such links, I sometimes pass them on to others that I
suspect would also find them interesting.  But I can't remember
the last time I encouraged someone else to go and check out the
general discussion on a particular article.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)