newbie to Linux (Debian).

I hope this is the correct place to state my problem.
I have tried the newsgroups but received no response.

I am a complete newbie to Linux (Debian). I thought it would be a
good way to get around the glut of Windows.

I am having problems with the graphics card. I installed Debian
Linux 3.0 and, during the install I included XFree86.

Upon booting it I get an error stating that:

"I cannot start the Xserver (your graphical interface), it is
likely that it is not setup correctly. Would you like to view
the Xserver output to diagnose the problem?". If I reply YES I
get a blank window with only the option to hit OK. If I reply NO
to get a new start to enter username & password. It then says
"username@sysname:~$" , and then hangs because I don't know
where to go from there. My only choice is Ctl+Alt+del., and get
back in Windows XP.

During the install I had to hunt down Xfree86, on the CD, but it,
supposedly, installed with no apparent problems. I have searched
the documents for a way to get any further but can find none.
I figured there to be some problems with the OS but this is
ridiculous.

Please help before I toss the CD's.
Thank you for any assistance you may give,

FJBivings
fjbivings@adelphia.net
MAY THE BYTES FLOW YOUR WAY