Re: newbie to Linux (Debian).

On Thursday 11 March 2004 04:20, Frank J Bivings wrote:

> Linux 3.0 and, during the install I included XFree86.
>
> Upon booting it I get an error stating that:
>
> "I cannot start the Xserver (your graphical interface), it is
> likely that it is not setup correctly. Would you like to view
> the Xserver output to diagnose the problem?". If I reply YES I
> get a blank window with only the option to hit OK. If I reply NO
> to get a new start to enter username & password. It then says
> "username@sysname:~$" , and then hangs because I don't know
> where to go from there. My only choice is Ctl+Alt+del., and get
> back in Windows XP.

When you say "it hangs", you mean it just sits there.  That isn't
hanging, it's waiting for you to type commands.

Most likely (based on my experience) X is not running because the
file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 does not have the correct graphics card
driver.  If you know the model of your graphics card, you can look it
up here
http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/Status.html
then look for this section in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "S3 SAVAGE4 PRO/32MB PCI"
        Driver          "savage"
EndSection

and change the driver description.  You will however need to learn a few
console skills and figure out how to use a text editor.