Re: newbie to Linux (Debian).

Frank J Bivings said:
> I am a complete newbie to Linux (Debian). I thought it would be a
> good way to get around the glut of Windows.
>
> I am having problems with the graphics card. I installed Debian
> Linux 3.0 and, during the install I included XFree86.
>
> Upon booting it I get an error stating that:
>
> "I cannot start the Xserver (your graphical interface

Perhaps my advice is poor.
But I will give it anyway.
Go install knoppix, it should auto-detect all your hardware.
Then copy the xfree86 config file to your debian install.
I like debian, but I do not reccomend it for newbies installing for
desktop systems.
Or try the testing version of debian, sarge, it autodetects a lot.

--
--Luke CS Sysadmin, Montana State University-Bozeman