Re: Exporting running display ala Remote Desktop or VNC for windows

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lou Losee" <llosee@hvc.rr.com>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 1:06 PM
Subject: Re: Exporting running display ala Remote Desktop or VNC for windows

> * Kai Grossjohann <kgrossjo@eu.uu.net> [2004-03-02 02:11]:
> > Danie Roux <droux@tuks.co.za> writes:
> >
> > > I want to continue working on a running GNOME desktop in my office
from
> > > a remote location.
> >
> > Maybe it's sufficient to just run the applications you need?  Just
> > ssh into your office (using the -X option if needed), and start
> > running X11 programs.
> >
> > This is not as fancy, but it works quite well.  You do need X11 on
> > the local machine, though.
> >
> Which even if you are -forced- to run one of the products from Redmond
> is available for free via the Cygwin project.

I don't know if there is an equivalent on GNOME, but with KDE 3.X you have
the option to activate the "Share desktop" feature in the control panel, and
then you will be able to connect to the running session from werever you are
with a simple VNC client (there is vnc clients for all platforms). The only
thing I dislike is to have to leave the session opened on my remote machine
to be able to connect.
Also, other solution it's to install a full VNC server in you machine and
run remote VNC sessions, that way you don't have to leave the session opened
because it will be opened when you connect.

Best regards