Re: A Newbie LVM Question

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 07:22:24PM -0500, stan wrote:
> Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 19:22:24 -0500
> From: stan <stanb@panix.com>
> Subject: A Newbie LVM Question
>
> I've played with LVM on HP-UX, but only just enough to get a firm
> handle on the fact that I don't understand the complexities of it,
> and that is easy to screw up, but hard to fix :-)
>
> So, I find myself building a Debian MytTV machine. In addition
> to the 40G root drive, I installed 2 other drives, a 60G (/dev/hdb),
> and a 120G (/dev/hdd).
>
> What I want to do is create one large "virtual disk" out of these,
> then I will then create a XFS filesystem on and use to store various
> multimedia files for mythtv. I want the disks to be "striped" if
> that is possible with different size disks?

  Do you realize what happens when one of stripped disk goes away.
Information on the second disk will be almost useless, so backup copy is
your friend.

> I've installed the lvm (1) packages, and I've read the HOWTO.
> Here is what I came up with:
>
> fdisk both disks, creating a single partition on each one of type 8e
>
> pvcreate /dev/hdb1
> pvcreate /dev/hdd1
>
> vgcreate mythtv /dev/hdb1 /dev/hdd1
>
> And then I should be ready to create a filesystem on this "virtual
> disk".

  No, it isn't virtual disk. Read HOWTO carefully, it explains each step
needed. You've just created volume group. On top of this volume group
you create LogicalVolume (man lvcreate)

> Is it really that simple?
 Indeed it is very simple, once you did it :) I've tried to read about
EVMS package, (IMHO it has more features, but also more sophisticated),
but it was too sophisticadet after LVM

  Regards

--
Alexei Chetroi