Exporting running display ala Remote Desktop or VNC for windows

Hi all,

I want to continue working on a running GNOME desktop in my office from
a remote location.

I know it's possible to export the running display with KDE's remote
desktop. But, that requires user interaction on the running display.

Then, there is x0rfbserver, which works quite nicely - except that it's
dead slow (encodes the screen really badly).

So I'm hoping that something would be possible with X and DISPLAY? I
feel as if I'm missing something obvious here.

--
Danie Roux *shuffle* Adore Unix