ppscsi on 2.6 kernels

I recently acquired a hand-me-down Microtek SlimScan C3 parallel port
scanner. The man page for the sane-microtek2 backend indicates that I
need to install the ppscsi module for this to work. Google turned up
http://penguin-breeder.org/kernel/download/ which contains a patch that
applies and compiles just fine against my 2.6.1 kernel, but when I try
to insert the module I get:

FATAL: Error inserting ppscsi (/lib/modules/2.6.1-mrr/kernel/drivers/
scsi/ppscsi.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see
dmesg)

dmesg gives this:
ppscsi: Unknown symbol __udivdi3

Several sites turned up related info for other modules, it seems to be
some sort of interaction between libgcc and libc that I can't even begin
to understand, much less repair. I tried downloading the mandrake source
rpm for 2.6.3 and snagging the ppscsi patch included there, but it was
basically the same patch and gave exactly the same results. Any hints as
to how I might resolve this?

I am using gcc-3.3.3 and glibc 2.3.2 if that helps any.

Thanks,

Mark