Re: lost nic

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:23:32 -0500
Marty Landman <MLandman@face2interface.com> wrote:

> At 09:01 PM 2/16/2004, Jacob S. wrote:
<snip>
> >(there's a lot that can vary here, but I know a lot of cable internet
> >users that have the same ip for months on end, or even close to a
> >year).
>
> I'm thinking that with each nic having its own unique id# this is
> facilitated... or at least possible to do.

Yes, it's definitely possible - I'm doing it here, but I'm using Debian
to do it. Don't forget that it could also be something simpler though,
such as the order in which they're booted.

> >Sorry. My knowledge about Windows is (purposely) decreasing.
<snip>

> w95/98/me are all based on the 95 kernel which nt/xp/2000/2003 all use
> the nt kernel. xp believe or not is quite stable from my experience.
> Reinstalling 98 yesterday reminds me of what a pita that os line is...
> to be fair though I've found xp to be quite stable. I reboot when it's
> necessary, or I think it is which seems to be more often than it
> really is. Anyway...

Yes, I've used it a few times. Once on a really cheap computer, which
I'm sure didn't help anything. The other time was about a week for
work... Definitely better than Win95/98, but still not as good, IMHO. I
still have no experience installing it, though.

And it is still a resource hog... I noticed a laptop at the store
today which had 512MB of ram and 1.5GB of swap space, as the
(presumably) default install. The Linux rule of thumb was only twice as
much swap as physical ram, last I checked... doing my own tests I never
found it worthwhile to have more swap than physical ram, and here on my
current computer w/768MB I only have 256MB of swap which is rarely
used. Anyway, we're (I'm) drifting.

> > > Whatever happened it only affected the Debian box, not the fbsd or
> > > rh ones.
> >
> >That does make it more curious.
>
> I wonder though. Jacob, the other two nix boxes have 3com nics in them
> while the debian box has a netgear nic. XP would know this, at least
> if it wants to and is designed to do so.
<snip>

I believe XP would only notice the different manufacturer as a result of
the different MAC addresses. (Manufacturer is embedded into the address,
if I remember right.) It would also notice a difference in what
speeds/modes the NICs advertise, but I don't think that should make a
difference.

> I know, can't wait till I learn to read the code a bit and see what's
> really going on in there.

I'm still working on that one, but I agree.

I think my next step, if I were you, would be to tell Debian (and all
the client computers) to get their ip via dhcp and then see if you can
find enough documentation for XP to tell it to assign a certain IP for
each computer every time.

Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #13:
The nice thing about Windows is - It doesn't just crash, it displays a
dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.