Re: lost nic

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:19:07 -0500
Marty Landman <MLandman@face2interface.com> wrote:

> At 05:21 PM 2/16/2004, Greg Madden wrote:
<snip>
> >Now try to ping another box.
>
> Works fine for my lan, get "network unreachable" when pinging a Net
> loc, though the name gets resolved.
>
> Funny thing is I fixed the identical problem this morning on my
> FreeBSD box but assuming the route command was what I need on Debian I
> tried
>
> # route add gw 192.168.0.1
> gw: no address associated with name

If you have /etc/network/interfaces setup properly, I've found it easier
to simply do an "/etc/init.d/networking restart".

> So now what?
>
> >Some caveats, it depends on how your box gets its IP address, DHCP or
> >Static
>
> Static, controlled by my win xp gateway with the dial up and internet
> connection sharing.

Half guessing, half remembering the config files I sent you as
examples... This sounds like XP assigns the IPs dynamically, but you
setup Debian to think it's running static. (oops... probably my bad.)
Which means when XP gets half a mind to do something different (like a
"new" win98 box on the network), it will think it's reassigned all the
IPs properly (using dhcp) - especially after a reboot - but the Debian
box won't know about it. Meaning you could have an ip conflict on your
network. In which case the other computer with the Debian ip might be
getting the ping responses that make the "Network unreachable".

If the above is true, I would definitely recommend telling Debian to get
it's ip via DHCP. Then whenever the semi-daily XP reboot comes along,
the Debian box will know to get a new lease on it's IP and change things
accordingly if it gets a different one instead.

> >the windows stuff I don't know about but can have an adverse affect
> >on a mixed network, afaik.
>
> Yeah, considering that the fix appeared to be just software
> removal/reinstallation of the nic I have a theory about what happened.
>
> Yesterday I reinstalled windows98 on my wife's workstation. For some
> reason my xp gateway decided to reassign its ip address and once I
> figured that out all appeared well. Now this. Maybe coincidence but
> it's weird that this would even happen to a running connection isn't
> it?

Not when we're talking about Windows. Nothing makes sense with Windows.
(hehe... appropriate random signature below. :-)

HTH,
Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #34:
It's spelled Linux, but it's pronounced `Not Windows'
It's spelled Windows, but it's pronounced `Aieeeeeeee!'