Re: lost nic

At 05:21 PM 2/16/2004, Greg Madden wrote:

Use an xterm window, as root, to execute the commands.

No X on my sys, using command line

1. 'ifconfig eth(x) down'
2. 'rmmod tulip'
3. 'modprobe tulip'

AFAIK the tulip module is the correct module for the FA310, if modprobe succeeds then it probably is.

Looked good, so I followed with an ifconfig eth0 ...

Now try to ping another box.

Works fine for my lan, get "network unreachable" when pinging a Net loc, though the name gets resolved.

Funny thing is I fixed the identical problem this morning on my FreeBSD box but assuming the route command was what I need on Debian I tried

# route add gw 192.168.0.1
gw: no address associated with name

So now what?

Some caveats, it depends on how your box gets its IP address, DHCP or Static

Static, controlled by my win xp gateway with the dial up and internet connection sharing.

the windows stuff I don't know about but can have an adverse affect on a mixed network, afaik.

Yeah, considering that the fix appeared to be just software removal/reinstallation of the nic I have a theory about what happened.

Yesterday I reinstalled windows98 on my wife's workstation. For some reason my xp gateway decided to reassign its ip address and once I figured that out all appeared well. Now this. Maybe coincidence but it's weird that this would even happen to a running connection isn't it?

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387
This Month's New Quiz --- Past Superbowl Winners