Re: jabber server howto

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 09:56:33AM -0700, Jamin W. Collins wrote:

> This should be easily done with the existing Debian packages for Jabber.
>
> > I also want to be able to store the transcripts of the talks.
>
> This may be a bit more difficult.  I'm assuming that you mean you want
> to log all traffic passing through the server, right?  If so, you'll
> need something like BanderSnatch:
>
>    http://www.jabberstudio.org/projects/bandersnatch/project/view.php
>
> > From what I have seen, I need (and have installed) jabber,
> > jabber-common, jabber-jud and jabber-muc.
>
> That should allow for your users to chat directly and in group chat
> rooms.
>
> > The intention is for the users to run a client in their own machines
> > that would connect to my server for this purpose. I remember seeing
> > some clients for jabber for windows (gabber was the name of one if I
> > am not mistaken), that will help, since I expect many of the users to
> > be running windows.
>
> Another nice cross platform client is Psi:
>
>    http://psi.affinix.com/
>
> > To give you a visual of what we are trying to do, please have a look
> > at http://www.mathhomeworkcenter.com/sample1.html
>
> >From that site, it appears you are looking for some whiteboarding
> functionality.  The only Jabber client I'm aware of that provides
> whiteboarding is Cocinella:
>
>    http://coccinella.sourceforge.net/
>
> It is also cross platform,  The UI could use some serious work, but the
> whiteboarding seems to work fairly well from the limited testing I've
> done.

The whiteboarding we intend to do through uploading of digital
pictures taken on the spot, their processing and uploading thorugh
bashscript is done quite fast and automatically. This way we keep the
environment as close as possible to the real classroom one: board and
some talking (typing).
Keeping a record of the chat would serve as some kind of
classnotes. Keeping the pics is much easier. It is actually well done
at this point. And the records with the system that we have so far are
kept very well, but as I said, the system is having some difficulties
refreshing the message board, which we hope to fix by using jabber for that
purpose.
About jabberd: Would a FQDN accessed through redirection from the
parking site be a problem to run the server? I am thinking about
redirecting the top domain name to a server here in my home,
semistatic ip address, changes three times a year may be. Given the
nature of the procedure, we don't expect many to try to intrude into
the system. Not many would care about stealing math class notes that we
know. Besides, we would gladly provide any under GPL. And the system
itself is intended to be made available under GPL, once it is in a
better shape. I had mentioned this earlier in this list, no one was
interested. Someone adviced setting an account with sourceforge, but
since nobody seemed interested we didn't spend much time thinking
about it.
You had mentioned a script that makes the installation process more
less automatic, I don't remember seing any questions asked, was it
then not interactive?
Would you indicate where to look to check/modify the settings?
Thanks.
AR