Re: jabber server howto

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 06:20:23AM -0500, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:

> Hi Jamin, thanks for the reply. I am trying to set a jabber server
> that would allow several users to interact with one another.

This should be easily done with the existing Debian packages for Jabber.

> I also want to be able to store the transcripts of the talks.

This may be a bit more difficult.  I'm assuming that you mean you want
to log all traffic passing through the server, right?  If so, you'll
need something like BanderSnatch:

   http://www.jabberstudio.org/projects/bandersnatch/project/view.php

> From what I have seen, I need (and have installed) jabber,
> jabber-common, jabber-jud and jabber-muc.

That should allow for your users to chat directly and in group chat
rooms.

> The intention is for the users to run a client in their own machines
> that would connect to my server for this purpose. I remember seeing
> some clients for jabber for windows (gabber was the name of one if I
> am not mistaken), that will help, since I expect many of the users to
> be running windows.

Another nice cross platform client is Psi:

   http://psi.affinix.com/

> To give you a visual of what we are trying to do, please have a look
> at http://www.mathhomeworkcenter.com/sample1.html

>From that site, it appears you are looking for some whiteboarding
functionality.  The only Jabber client I'm aware of that provides
whiteboarding is Cocinella:

   http://coccinella.sourceforge.net/

It is also cross platform,  The UI could use some serious work, but the
whiteboarding seems to work fairly well from the limited testing I've
done.

--
Jamin W. Collins

"Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups."
-- John Kenneth Galbraith