Re: Mobo with fan controls

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 09:27:57AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hi Debian List!
>
> I am looking for a mobo that has controls on for all its fans so they
> can be turned off or down when not needed, like the laptops do.
>
> Googling and searching the hardware vendors/reviewers I am having
> trouble searching for that specific feature and did not find it.
>
> Anybody knows of/has a mobo that does that, or knows what search
> criteria are successful in finding that?
>
> IMI would like my next hardware upgrade to be a silent machine and and
> now it always sits next to me whirring(sp).

My personal solution to fan noise is to run ordinary fans at slow speed,
which makes them essentially silent, and just use more of them.

To slow them down I either run them off the 5V supply instead of 12V, or
stick a resistor in series with them - something between 150 and 220 ohms
usually does the trick. Which approach I use for any given fan has to be
determined by playing with the fan concerned - some prefer to be run off the
lower voltage, and some prefer the resistor - "prefer" meaning "start by
themselves without needing the flick of a finger". The only one I don't do
this to is the CPU fan - I leave that with the full unhindered 12V.

It doesn't work with hard drives though :-)

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons