Re: kernel: __alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed (after upgrade to2.4.23/24)

Shri Shrikumar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I seem to have a recurring problem after upgrading to 2.4.23. I also
> tried moving to 2.4.24 with no luck.
>
> I have system with 256mb ram and 1gb swapdisk. During certain nights
> (seemingly random), the kernel spews forth a number of messages like th
> one in the subject and kills random processes rendering the machine
> useless until a reboot.
>
> I suspected memory shortage but now having mrtg running on it graphing
> free memory, it shows that there was a minimum of over 400mb memory (RAM
> + SWAP) at any given time.
>
> Does anyone have ideas why the kernel might be dying like this?
Its not the dram, it's the cache on the mthbd or cpu. You could look at
your CMOS. If the battery is bad, maybe the cache settings have been
changed. Or- you could try changing them. There's dos programs to put a
CMOS copy on a boot disk, along with diagnostics that boot in dos off
the floppy, eliminating or identifying hard drive errors.

BSD recommends using fdisk at the install to create a small dos
partition to run diagnostic tools. You can also use it as a place to
park your bookmarks or whatever during a new Linux install.