Re: Would Knoppix enable access to router?

On 19 Jan 2004, Jacob S. wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:07:18 +0000
> Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > My thanks to Jacob for point out my silly confusion between the client
> > and the server. I therefore removed the server and installed the
> > client but I still can't connect to the damn thing. I tried on the
> > lines of what I do for my ADSL modem, which works, viz.
> >
> > 	ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> > 	route add gw 192.168.0.1
> >

> > However, with this I can't access the router and can't even ping the
> > address. I also tried:
> > 	ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1
> >
> > But that doesn't work either.
>
> hmm... You don't want an ip of 192.168.0.0 on a .0.0 subnet. More likely
> would be an ip of 192.168.0.2. What happens if you comment out any lines
> for eth0 in /etc/network/interfaces and add the following two lines? The
> "auto" line tells Debian to start the interface at boot time and the
> iface line tells it what settings to use. When using dhcp to obtain an
> ip, you should not need to specify an ip, netmask or gateway - the
> server will tell your computer all of that information when it assigns
> an ip.
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> You'll need to be root to edit that file. Once you've edited it, run
> "/etc/init.d/networking restart" for the changes to take affect. Then of
> course you can check it by running "ifconfig", trying to ping the ip
> listed for eth0 in ifconfig, pinging 192.168.0.1, etc.

I get a message saying that Protocol is not available:  make sure
CONFIG_PACKET and CONFIG_FILTER are defined in your kernel
configuration! exiting.

This is odd because I'm sure they are compiled into the kernel. I will
try again tomorrow; have to stop now.

Incidentally, I've found a number of places in Google saying that my
router (Netgear MR814) has various problems with configuration and
performance, so perhaps that is not helping.

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic