Re: Would Knoppix enable access to router?

On 19 Jan 2004, Antony Gelberg wrote:
> Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > On 19 Jan 2004, Antony Gelberg wrote:
> >>
> >> You're right that the Knoppix CD is useful.  But I don't see why it
> >> would make it easier to connect to your router, unless your network
> >> card drivers are very new and are not included in the Woody bf24
> >> kernel.  DHCP client setup is trivial on either.
> >>
> >> Put another way, I think you might be barking up the wrong tree.

> > I certainly haven't found it to be trivial. After long fiddling with
> > /etc/dhcpd.conf, which kept producing errors of the form "No subnet
> > declaration for eth0" and the like, I eventually reached the stage
> > where
> > it says:
> >
> > dhcpd: socket: Protocol not available - make sure CONFIG_PACKET and
> > CONFIG_FILTER are defined in your kernel configuration!
> >
> > As they are already configured I can see no way to get beyond this.
> >
> > I'll willingly admit I don't understand the network terminology very
> > well but it certainly is not trivial to get the system to allow access
> > to 192.168.0.1, which is currently my goal in life.
>
> But then there is no need to even set up a DHCP server, and hence no need to
> edit /etc/dhcpd.conf, or even have any dhcpd packages installed.  A DHCP
> server allocates IP addresses.  Your router probably has one built in.  You
> want to configure your workstation as a DHCP _client_, to let it receive an
> IP address from the DHCP server (the router).  man interfaces should be of
> use.
>
> Alternatively, if you are sure that the router is 192.168.0.1, you can
> configure your workstation with an unused static IP address on the same
> subnet, and forget all about DHCP.

[snip]

My thanks to Jacob for point out my silly confusion between the client
and the server. I therefore removed the server and installed the client
but I still can't connect to the damn thing. I tried on the lines of
what I do for my ADSL modem, which works, viz.

	ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
	route add gw 192.168.0.1

However, with this I can't access the router and can't even ping the
address. I also tried:
	ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1

But that doesn't work either.

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic