Re: Would Knoppix enable access to router?

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:07:18 +0000
Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:

> My thanks to Jacob for point out my silly confusion between the client
> and the server. I therefore removed the server and installed the
> client but I still can't connect to the damn thing. I tried on the
> lines of what I do for my ADSL modem, which works, viz.
>
> 	ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> 	route add gw 192.168.0.1
>

> However, with this I can't access the router and can't even ping the
> address. I also tried:
> 	ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1
>
> But that doesn't work either.

hmm... You don't want an ip of 192.168.0.0 on a .0.0 subnet. More likely
would be an ip of 192.168.0.2. What happens if you comment out any lines
for eth0 in /etc/network/interfaces and add the following two lines? The
"auto" line tells Debian to start the interface at boot time and the
iface line tells it what settings to use. When using dhcp to obtain an
ip, you should not need to specify an ip, netmask or gateway - the
server will tell your computer all of that information when it assigns
an ip.

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

You'll need to be root to edit that file. Once you've edited it, run
"/etc/init.d/networking restart" for the changes to take affect. Then of
course you can check it by running "ifconfig", trying to ping the ip
listed for eth0 in ifconfig, pinging 192.168.0.1, etc.

HTH,
Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Slight disorientation after prolonged system uptime is normal for new
Linux users. Please do not adjust your browser.