Re: Help with install (Promise ATA133 controller)

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 10:13:26AM -0500, Brian Davis wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm trying to install woody on my i386 system.  Every time I try this, my hard drives are not recognized.  I have the Promise Ultra133TX2 controller, which both of my hard drives are connected to.  I've tried the normal install floppy set, the idepci floppy set, and the bf2.4 floppy set.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
>
> Also, how do I use the driver-x.bin images?  When I select the Preload Modules from Floppy selection, I always get the error "Unable to mount floppy, can't continue" (yet the rescue and root disks worked find from the floppies).  I get this with every driver disk I try, and I've tried multiple to ensure it's not a floppy hardware issue.
>
> Any advice is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

The easiest way to get your promise card to work with debian is to use a
different kernel. You will need to get the promise support in the kernel.
I know this sounds a little mean, have you considered using the testing netinstall
iso?  It should be much easier to get your hardware detected, as well as prepare
you for Sarge which is almost ready.  You can go here for the latest image,
http://www.debain.org/devel/debian-installer/

If the netinstall method is not for you you might want to consider one of the fine
options listed in this article.
http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Debian-installers.html

If you really, really, really, must have woody. Then you might want to check out
www.debain.org/doc read up on using a chroot install from a running linux system.
Or you could just take your harddrive off the promise controller, and install woody,
then download a newer kernel, set up modules like normal.  Make sure the new kernel
boots then change your configuration, and reboot.

I still think option one is the best and easiest.

Rthoreau