Re: Installing portage on Debian

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 08:31:39PM -0600, Joseph A. Nagy, Jr. wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
> >
> >On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 08:13:30PM -0600, Joseph A. Nagy, Jr. wrote:
> >
> >>My sources don't have a rather outdated package that I want. I've
> >>downloaded the source from Tucows but it breaks when it looks for
> >>ncurses.h (it can't find it) so it won't compile from source. It's in
> >>portage, though, so I figured I could get it and all it's deps that way.
> >

> >You need ncurses-dev.
> >
> <snip>
>
> I thought so too, until I installed ncurses-dev, deleted the source dir
> and re-unarchived the files and re-ran the program and got the same error.

Are you setting the include path correctly when you configure your source
package? There should be an option in its configure script. If it's enough
of a dinosaur not to have a configure script have a look in the top level
makefile. ncurses.h exists OK on my box (woody, with ncurses-dev installed):

$ ls -l /usr/include/*curses.h
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        54005 Mar 29  2002 /usr/include/curses.h
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Jul 25 18:19 /usr/include/ncurses.h -> curses.h

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons