Installing portage on Debian

I'm trying to install portage on Debian, does anyone have any tips or
tricks past what I've already done (copy and pasted from a conversation
I was having with my helper at the time).

And yes, I have Python 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 installed.

(15:47:25) Joseph A. Nagy, Jr.:
root@joseph-a-nagy-jr:~/portage-2.0.49-r21/src/sandbox-1.1#
./create-localdecls
Checking truncate argument type... off_t
Checking libc version... libc.so.6
Checking glibc subversion...
root@joseph-a-nagy-jr:~/portage-2.0.49-r21/src/sandbox-1.1# make
gcc  -Wall -c -D_GNU_SOURCE -DPIC -fPIC -D_REENTRANT libsandbox.c
gcc  -Wall -c -D_GNU_SOURCE -DPIC -fPIC -D_REENTRANT sandbox_futils.c
gcc libsandbox.o sandbox_futils.o -shared -fPIC -ldl -lc -o
libsandbox.so -nostdlib -lgcc
gcc  -Wall -c sandbox.c
gcc sandbox.o sandbox_futils.o getcwd.c -ldl -lc -o sandbox
root@joseph-a-nagy-jr:~/portage-2.0.49-r21/src/sandbox-1.1#
./create-localdecls
Checking truncate argument type... off_t
Checking libc version... libc.so.6
Checking glibc subversion...
root@joseph-a-nagy-jr:~/portage-2.0.49-r21/src/sandbox-1.1# make test
make: *** No rule to make target `test'.  Stop.
root@joseph-a-nagy-jr:~/portage-2.0.49-r21/src/sandbox-1.1# make install
gcc  -Wall -c -D_GNU_SOURCE -DPIC -fPIC -D_REENTRANT libsandbox.c
gcc libsandbox.o sandbox_futils.o -shared -fPIC -ldl -lc -o
libsandbox.so -nostdlib -lgcc
install -d -m 0755 /lib
install -d -m 0755 /usr/lib/portage/bin
install -d -m 0755 /usr/lib/portage/lib
install -m 0755 libsandbox.so /lib
install -m 0755 sandbox /usr/lib/portage/bin
install -m 0644 sandbox.bashrc /usr/lib/portage/lib
root@joseph-a-nagy-jr:~/portage-2.0.49-r21/src/sandbox-1.1#
(15:48:08) John Hood: :)
(15:48:33) Joseph A. Nagy, Jr.: I wonder what I do next. *loogs around
at the commands in /root/portage-version/bin/
(15:48:34) John Hood: sandbox is a security module...
(15:48:38) Joseph A. Nagy, Jr.: right
(15:48:50) John Hood: see if you have the "emerge" command available.
(15:48:58) Joseph A. Nagy, Jr.: OKAY
(15:49:13) Joseph A. Nagy, Jr.: nope
(15:49:17) Joseph A. Nagy, Jr.: sorry for caps
(15:49:20) John Hood: /usr/bin/emerge????
(15:49:29) Joseph A. Nagy, Jr.: I'm root, no emerge
(15:49:35) John Hood: hmmm
(15:49:37) Joseph A. Nagy, Jr.: root@joseph-a-nagy-jr:~# e
e16menuedit            efix                   epstopdf
exim_fixdb
e2fsck                 egrep                  eqn
exim_lock
e2fsck.static          einitex                eqn2graph
exim_tidydb
e2image                eject                  esac
eximconfig
e2label
eximstats
e2pall                 electricsheep          esd-config
exinext
e_cache_clean          elif                   etex
exiqsumm
e_cache_query          else                   eval
exit
e_gen_gnome_menu       elvtune                eview
exiwhat
e_gen_kde_menu         embedxpm               evim
expand
e_gen_menu             enable                 evirtex
expect
ebb                    enc2xs                 ex
expectk
echo                   enlightenment          exec
expiry
echo-client-2          enlightenment.install  exedat
export
ed                     enscript               exicyclog
expr
edit                   env                    exigrep
extractres
editor                 envsubst               exim
eyuvtoppm
editres                epp                    exim-upgrade-to-r3
eesh                   eps2eps                exim_dbmbuild
efax                   epsffit                exim_dumpdb
root@joseph-a-nagy-jr:~# e
(15:49:48) John Hood: :(
(15:50:06) Joseph A. Nagy, Jr.: it is in /root/portage-version/bin,
though
(15:50:21) John Hood: Try it.
(15:50:24) Joseph A. Nagy, Jr.: should I copy those to /usr/sbin ?
(15:50:52) John Hood: /usr/bin
(15:50:57) Joseph A. Nagy, Jr.: okay

at which point I did so, as evidenced below

(15:51:33) Joseph A. Nagy, Jr.: root@joseph-a-nagy-jr:~# emerge portage
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 10, in ?
  import
  emergehelp,xpak,string,re,commands,time,shutil,traceback,atexit,signal
  File "/usr/bin/emergehelp.py", line 7, in ?
from output import *
ImportError: No module named output
root@joseph-a-nagy-jr:~#
(15:51:50) John Hood: :(
(15:53:47) Joseph A. Nagy, Jr.: just ran sandbox
(15:55:27) Joseph A. Nagy, Jr.: doh.
(16:11:21) Joseph A. Nagy, Jr.: doh. No good. Granted I'm no
programmer either.

As you can see, I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Help!
--
Joseph A. Nagy, Jr.
Student at Motlow State Community College