Oddball unfsd behavior

I have recently run into problems with the unfsd server reporting the
following error in the file server's daemon.log:

fd cache inconsistency!

At around the same time on the clients in the cluster, files end up
"dropping out of sight" and return an "Input/Output Error" message -- I
can't even get the files' inode number by doing an 'ls -di <filename>'.
In the client's syslog, I end up with the following messages:

kernel: nfs_refresh_inode: inode 55279643 mode changed, 0120777 to
0100644

This issue seems to only crop up when we update files directly on the
file server instead of going through an NFS mount.

I've dug and dug around on the web for an answer to this particular
issue, but haven't actually found an answer to it. Both the clients and
the server are running a vanilla kernel version 2.4.18 straight out of
the Debian apt archives.

Any ideas or comments are welcome. =op

P.S. I just had a thought when writing this email that it might be
related to the client-side caching of file stats. If one of the clients
is reading from a file, and then the file is updated outside of NFS at
the same time, would this cause a similar problem?

--
June Tate
Software Engineer