dpkg/ucf hang (was: Re: [users] Problem in starting OOo and its reinstallation)

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 12:02:58PM -0500, Wayne Topa wrote:
| Stephen Liu(satimis@icare.com.hk) is reported to have said:
|
| > One problem I have encountered - during debconf when it came to;
| > Configuration file `/etc/foomatic/filter.conf'
| >  ==> File on system created by you or by a script.
| >  ==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
| >    What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
| >     Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
| >     N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
| >       D     : show the differences between the versions
| >       Z     : start a new shell to examine the situation
| >  The default action is to keep your current version.
| > ***  filter.conf  (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?
| > D/Y/N and <Enter> (I tried all of them)
|
| Oh boy.  (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) means you enter 1 (one) of the letters and only
| 1 (one).  Usually enter only will be what you want to do.

He did, most likely.

| > It hanged there compelling me to close the Koncole window.
| I don't doubt it.

| > Then I ran;
| > # dpkg --configure -a
| > Setting up foomatic-filters (3.0.0-20031207-1) ...
| > Configuration file `/etc/foomatic/filter.conf'
| >  ==> File on system created by you or by a script.
| >  ==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
| >    What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
| >     Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
| >     N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
| >       D     : show the differences between the versions
| >       Z     : start a new shell to examine the situation
| >  The default action is to keep your current version.
| > ***  filter.conf  (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?  D/Y/N and <Enter> (I tried all
| > of them).  It hanged here again.

There's a bug, somewhere, that I just discovered last night and this
morning.

The process (in my case it was 'ucf' for both packages) gets stuck in
the Sleeping state and doesn't receive any keyboard input.

I don't know what the bug is, but I do know the two ways I worked around it :
    a)  when ucf hangs, look at the command line parameters using
        pstree or gnome-system-monitor.  run it manually and update
        the config file so that ucf/dpkg doesn't detect a difference
        and doesn't prompt you

    b)  edit /var/lib/dpkg/info/PKG.postinst to remove the invocation
        of ucf on the config file that is different and you don't want
        changed anyways

Of course, the applicability of these workarounds depends on what the
config file is, what you want to do with it, and how the package is
organized.

Based on Stephen's description, I think the following programs are not
to blame :
    aptitude, xterm, dselect, konsole
but these haven't been ruled out :
    dpkg, ucf
I know that running ucf manually does not reveal the issue.

HTH,
-D

PS. Stephen:  sometimes things don't work quite right when running
    unstable.  I recommend not running unstable unless :
        1)  you know what you are doing and how debian is organized
            (and can debug and workaround such issues yourself)
    or
        2)  the system isn't terribly important and you can leave it
            in a broken state until someone else fixes the bug
    or
        3)  you like learning to swim by jumping in the deep end
            (see #1)
    FWIW I run a testing+unstable mix and accept the fact that the
    latest and greatest sometimes has problems and I can deal with
    them.  It works well for me.

--
One OS to rule them all, one OS to find them,
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,