Re: lilo fails, /dev/sda not readable

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 at 3:05pm, Andrés Roldán wrote:

:Add the line:
:
:disk=/dev/sda inaccessible
:
:to the lilo.conf file.

Thanks!  That fixed it.  But why does lilo care about /dev/sda in the
first place?

Patrick

:Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman@mindspring.com> writes:
:
:> Hello:
:>
:> I've been away from this list for a while.  Happy New Year to everyone!
:>
:> I've recently compiled a new kernel, 2.4.22, the "Debian way," but when I
:> go to install it, lilo bails out with the error:
:>
:> Fatal: VolumeID read error: sector 0 of /dev/sda not readable
:>
:> I get the same error when I try to 'downgrade' to the previous
:> kernel_image, which had successfully installed before.
:>
:> My lilo.conf makes only a commented reference to /dev/sda, and
:> boot=/dev/hda.  I have recently acquired a USB Mass Storage device, which
:> is at /dev/sda1 when mounted, but it's not mounted at the moment.  I had
:> successfully recompiled and installed a kernel which recognized the
:> device.  (This latest compilation was to add a wireless PCMCIA card; other
:> than that I changed nothing.)
:>
:> My system is 'testing'.  I have version 22.5.8 of lilo.
:>
:> A Google attempt turned up nothing except a few problems with people
:> putting the MBR on /dev/sda, which is not my situation.
:>
:> Hoping someone can help,
:>
:> Patrick
:>
:> --
:> Patrick Wiseman                               pwiseman@mindspring.com
:> Linux user #17943                             *Google First, Ask Later*
:>
:>
:> --
:> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-request@lists.debian.org