Re: dpkg/ucf hang (was: Re: [users] Problem in starting OOo and its reinstallation)

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 03:43:32PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 12:02:58PM -0500, Wayne Topa wrote:
> | Stephen Liu(satimis@icare.com.hk) is reported to have said:
> |
> | > One problem I have encountered - during debconf when it came to;
<snip>
> He did, most likely.
> | > Then I ran;
> | > # dpkg --configure -a
<snip>
>  It hanged here again.
>
> There's a bug, somewhere, that I just discovered last night and this
> morning.
>
> The process (in my case it was 'ucf' for both packages) gets stuck in
> the Sleeping state and doesn't receive any keyboard input.
>
> I don't know what the bug is, but I do know the two ways I worked around it :
>     a)  when ucf hangs, look at the command line parameters using
>         pstree or gnome-system-monitor.  run it manually and update
>         the config file so that ucf/dpkg doesn't detect a difference
>         and doesn't prompt you
>
>     b)  edit /var/lib/dpkg/info/PKG.postinst to remove the invocation
>         of ucf on the config file that is different and you don't want
>         changed anyways
>
> Of course, the applicability of these workarounds depends on what the
> config file is, what you want to do with it, and how the package is
> organized.
>

> Based on Stephen's description, I think the following programs are not
> to blame :
>     aptitude, xterm, dselect, konsole
> but these haven't been ruled out :
>     dpkg, ucf
> I know that running ucf manually does not reveal the issue.
>
> HTH,
> -D
<snip>
Hi folks,
I've had some 'configure' issues that may/may not be related.
I tried these for debugging.
first, did:
dpkg --debug=7777 -i /var/cache/apt/packages/kdm<version>.deb 2>&1 |
more

then
noticed it displays info about an error in kdm.postinst. so, I edit
/var/lib/dpkg/info/kdm.postinst.
It has at to 'set -e' which I remove and added:
set -v
this displays the scripts output so that you can see more info.
BUT after you do a 'dpkg -i' you need to do 'dpkg --configure -a' and
NOT another 'dpkg -i' because 'dpkg -i' will OVERRIGHT the changes to
/var/lib/dpkg/info/kdm.postinst.
HTH
-Kev
HTH