Re: [users] Problem in starting OOo and its reinstallation

Hi Wayne,

Lot of thanks for your advice.

- snip -

> OO is running fine on Debian.  You may have a KDE issue but from all I
> read OO is running fine on sarge, testing and unstable.
>
> If you want to update OO, on Debian, you do not have to do what you
> had to do on an RPM Linux (Red Hat, Mandrake, Suse).  On debin you do
>
> 1st  get your /etc/apt/sources set up correctly (sites for whatever
>      version you want to track)
> 2nd  Do deselect update (to get the package lists from the sites in
>      sources.list)
> 3rd  do apt-get dist-update  (This will update all your current
>      programs to the latest versions and -remove- all of the old
>      versions)

Your advice, the abovementioned 3 steps, is what I am hunting hard for.

I suppose the 3rd step is 'apt-get dist-upgrade', because 'apt-get
dist-update' popup 'Invalid command' (If I am wrong please correct me)

Now I have OO running on my Debian box.  All packages can be started, Write/
Web/Calc/Draw, etc.

One problem I have encountered - during debconf when it came to;
Configuration file `/etc/foomatic/filter.conf'
 ==> File on system created by you or by a script.
 ==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
   What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
    Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
      D     : show the differences between the versions
      Z     : start a new shell to examine the situation
 The default action is to keep your current version.
***  filter.conf  (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?
D/Y/N and <Enter> (I tried all of them)

It hanged there compelling me to close the Koncole window.

On another Konsole window, I re-ran
# dselect update
Hit ftp://ftp.hk.debian.org testing/main Packages
Hit ftp://ftp.hk.debian.org testing/main Release
Hit ftp://ftp.hk.debian.org testing/main Sources
Hit ftp://ftp.hk.debian.org testing/main Release
Hit ftp://ftp.hk.debian.org testing/main Packages
Hit ftp://ftp.hk.debian.org testing/main Release
Hit ftp://ftp.hk.debian.org testing/main Sources
Hit ftp://ftp.hk.debian.org testing/main Release
Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Release
Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/contrib Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/contrib Release
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to
correct the problem.

update available list script returned error exit status 1.
Press <enter> to continue.

Then I ran;
# dpkg --configure -a
Setting up foomatic-filters (3.0.0-20031207-1) ...
Configuration file `/etc/foomatic/filter.conf'
 ==> File on system created by you or by a script.
 ==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
   What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
    Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
      D     : show the differences between the versions
      Z     : start a new shell to examine the situation
 The default action is to keep your current version.
***  filter.conf  (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?  D/Y/N and <Enter> (I tried all
of them).  It hanged here again.

It came back to the same situation and I could not proceed further.  I will
start another thread on Debian mailing list about this problem

Another problem is on Math, Printer Admin, Impress, etc.
the description on menu bar/droplist disappear.  I suppose it is a language
problem.  I have no idea what language version of OO I have installed.  I
need English version.  Kindly advise how to check it and reinstall the
correct version

> Downloading from the OO site is ill advised.  The Debian developers
> have done all of the hard work for you.  Just use the Debian .deb
> packages.

Yes, we have an old saying 'In Rome do as a Roman does'

Thanks

B.R.
Stephen Liu