Re: [users] Problem in starting OOo and its reinstallation

Stephen Liu(satimis@icare.com.hk) is reported to have said:
> Hi Wayne,
>
> Lot of thanks for your advice.
>
> - snip -
>
> > OO is running fine on Debian.  You may have a KDE issue but from all I
> > read OO is running fine on sarge, testing and unstable.
> >
> > If you want to update OO, on Debian, you do not have to do what you
> > had to do on an RPM Linux (Red Hat, Mandrake, Suse).  On debin you do
> >
> > 1st  get your /etc/apt/sources set up correctly (sites for whatever
> >      version you want to track)
> > 2nd  Do deselect update (to get the package lists from the sites in
> >      sources.list)
> > 3rd  do apt-get dist-update  (This will update all your current
> >      programs to the latest versions and -remove- all of the old
> >      versions)
>
> Your advice, the abovementioned 3 steps, is what I am hunting hard for.
>
> I suppose the 3rd step is 'apt-get dist-upgrade', because 'apt-get
> dist-update' popup 'Invalid command' (If I am wrong please correct me)
i              ^^^^   ??? What is that?

> Now I have OO running on my Debian box.  All packages can be started, Write/
> Web/Calc/Draw, etc.

Good.  See the Debian way is sooo much better then what you had to do
in RH.

> One problem I have encountered - during debconf when it came to;
> Configuration file `/etc/foomatic/filter.conf'
>  ==> File on system created by you or by a script.
>  ==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
>    What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
>     Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
>     N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
>       D     : show the differences between the versions
>       Z     : start a new shell to examine the situation
>  The default action is to keep your current version.
> ***  filter.conf  (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?
> D/Y/N and <Enter> (I tried all of them)

Oh boy.  (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) means you enter 1 (one) of the letters and only
1 (one).  Usually enter only will be what you want to do.

> It hanged there compelling me to close the Koncole window.
I don't doubt it.

> On another Konsole window, I re-ran

> # dselect update
> Hit ftp://ftp.hk.debian.org testing/main Packages
> Hit ftp://ftp.hk.debian.org testing/main Release
> Hit ftp://ftp.hk.debian.org testing/main Sources
> Hit ftp://ftp.hk.debian.org testing/main Release
> Hit ftp://ftp.hk.debian.org testing/main Packages
> Hit ftp://ftp.hk.debian.org testing/main Release
> Hit ftp://ftp.hk.debian.org testing/main Sources
> Hit ftp://ftp.hk.debian.org testing/main Release
> Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
> Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Release
> Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/contrib Packages
> Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/contrib Release
> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to
> correct the problem.
>
> update available list script returned error exit status 1.
> Press <enter> to continue.
>
> Then I ran;
> # dpkg --configure -a
> Setting up foomatic-filters (3.0.0-20031207-1) ...
> Configuration file `/etc/foomatic/filter.conf'
>  ==> File on system created by you or by a script.
>  ==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
>    What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
>     Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
>     N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
>       D     : show the differences between the versions
>       Z     : start a new shell to examine the situation
>  The default action is to keep your current version.
> ***  filter.conf  (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?  D/Y/N and <Enter> (I tried all
> of them).  It hanged here again.
>
> It came back to the same situation and I could not proceed further.  I will
> start another thread on Debian mailing list about this problem

See the answer to the same question above.  When in doubt read the man
page, man dpkg.

> Another problem is on Math, Printer Admin, Impress, etc.
> the description on menu bar/droplist disappear.  I suppose it is a language
> problem.  I have no idea what language version of OO I have installed.  I
> need English version.  Kindly advise how to check it and reinstall the
> correct version

1.  If you want to run Debian I suggest you learn to read the Doc's on
your system.  Most, if not all, of your questions are usually covered
by the package docs.  To find them you will have to do 'man update',
which will create a database of all the files you have installed on
your system.  Then do 'locate [program-name] | less'.  that will show
all the files related to [program-name].  Please try to find the
answers to your problems yourself before posting to the list.
Debian-User is a great resource, but you are expected to learn how to
help yourself, first.

2.  I don't use Math or Impress so don't know the answer to your
question.  Not sure I understand the question anyway.

3.  I sure don't understand the Printer Admin question.  I don't
recall any menu option called Printer Admin.  That may be a KDE option
but I don't run KDE either.  I admin my printers with the spadmin
program, which I learned of by reading the OO docs.  If I recall
correctly, as it has been months since I set them up.  I would read
the OO Docs for you but I whink it would be better if you did.
[/hint on]
Locate openoffice |less
[/hint off]

> > Downloading from the OO site is ill advised.  The Debian developers
> > have done all of the hard work for you.  Just use the Debian .deb
> > packages.

If you learn how to use dpkg (by reading the man page) you will find
it very easy to see what language you are running.

dpkg -l openoffice* | grep ii          shows me

ii  openoffice.org 1.1.0-2        high-quality office productivity
suite
ii  openoffice.org 1.1.0-2        OpenOffice.org office suite binary
files
ii  openoffice.org 1.1.0-2        OpenOffice.org crash reporting tool
ii  openoffice.org 1.1.0-2+1      Debian specific parts of
OpenOffice.org
ii  openoffice.org 1.1+20030814-3 OpenOffice.org office suite help
(English)
ii  openoffice.org 1.1.0-2        English US language package for
openoffice.o
ii  openoffice.org 1.1beta2-2     OpenOffice.org 1.1 beta office suite
help (E

Thae above will change as I am currently upgrading to
openoffice.org-bin 1.1.0-3
openoffice.org-debian-files 1.1.0-3+1 , etc

> Yes, we have an old saying 'In Rome do as a Roman does'

The Romans on Debian-user learn to read the docs first!

HTH=Hope This Helps, YMMV=Your Mileage May Vary, HAND=Have A Nice Day
and Happy New Year

 Wayne
  Debian GNU/Linux 3.0

--
The program is absolutely right; therefore the computer must be wrong.