Re: DynIP mail blocking considered harmful

Hi,

Am Fr, den 19.12.2003 schrieb Adam um 09:02:
> On Thursday 18 December 2003 21:40, Joerg Rossdeutscher wrote:
>
> > You share a network neighbourhood with _others_. Your machine start
> > connections to my machine, and when my machine want's to answer your
> > machine half an hour later, _your_ machine is gone, or another machine
> > is answering, or..., so your computer makes trouble. And I don't let you
> > make trouble to my machine.
>
> You don't necessarily need to connect back to the same machine to bounce
> an e-mail or reply to it, as long as the return address is valid.

valid - and the machine that accepts mail is always online.
I think fallbacks in case of error (retry to deliver mail after
5,10,60,... minutes) should not be the "standard"-way.

> Many
> static networks have different hosts for incoming and outgoing mail.  Many
> home users operating their own outgoing MTA get their incoming mail by
> POP3 from a static server.

That's the way I use it. Outgoing SMTP with smarthost. "Incoming" mail
via fetchmail. Mail is fetched every some minutes when I am already
online, every some hours if I'm offline, every time I go online and
manually by an icon in my gnome menue.

Bye, Ratti

--
 -o)    fontlinge  | Font management for Linux  | Schriftenverwaltung in Linux
 /\\                                  http://freshmeat.net/projects/fontlinge/