Re: DynIP mail blocking considered harmful (was: Re: My email is rejected by some sites)

Hi,

Am Do, den 18.12.2003 schrieb Karsten M. Self um 03:11:
> on Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 08:37:09PM +0100, Joerg Rossdeutscher wrote:
> > Am Mi, den 17.12.2003 schrieb Karsten M. Self um 01:21:

> > >   - There are highly specific filters and methods which can effectively
> > >     discriminate between spam and non-spam content.  Activity-based
> > >     lists, Bayesian and content-based filters, reputation systems,
> > >     teergrubbing, rate-limiting, and the like.
> >
> > Yes, but.
> >
> > Why should /I/ install lots of software to enable others to have a
> > mailserver on their DynIP?
>
> If you plan on being able to receive legitimate mail from legitimate
> users, you'll have an interest.

No, I am not interested.
I reject that mail to force them to use a smarthost.

> > But, at that point, I see the discussion drifting away, since my
> > expression was not against having "a mail server" (BTW: What is a
> > mailserver? POP3? SMTP?
>
> RTFRFC.

Nonsense.

> If you don't know the answer to _this_ question, you've got no basis for
> participating intelligently in this conversation.  And the answer is
> trivial enough to research.

Oh man, don't tell me you are _that_ ****** . "What is a mailserver" is
not a question of RFCs, for that kind of discussion it is important to
define what a "mailserver" is. Or very soon someone may ask me why I'm
against someone running postfix without internet connection, since
postfix provides SMTP services, and I said...

> > it's just the "direct" mail communication between DynIP and recipient
> > I'm against. There should be a smarthost that's always "on air",
> > always accepts answers, is still there in 10 minutes and has a backup
> > mx in a different network.
>
> This has been discussed at length previously on this list and elsewhere,
> including in the links previously posted.
>
> Simply:  ISP smarthosts are not universally appropriate, acceptable, or
> reliable.

I don't discuss that. If your provider is not reliable, get another
provider. And I really ask, why a provider should be bad in
smarthosting, but acceptable in routing your data? That makes no sense.

> > > No.  It's arbitrary discrimination.
> >
> > You are not discriminated - just use a smarthost
>
> You are not descriminated against.  Just buy a house in a different
> neighborhood.

Help! Help! I am discriminated! I am forced to slow my car down to 50
km/h,  and this f*cking nazi-communists even don't let me play with
dynamite in _my_ house!

You share a network neighbourhood with _others_. Your machine start
connections to my machine, and when my machine want's to answer your
machine half an hour later, _your_ machine is gone, or another machine
is answering, or..., so your computer makes trouble. And I don't let you
make trouble to my machine.
It's just silently dropped like a portscan.

> > A DynIP-mailserver /does/ indeed often(!) behaves more badly than a
> > "normal" one. For example, mail to it must often stay on my server
> > since the DynIP-Server just isn't online, has no backup-mx and it's
> > more often source of spam.
>
> Again:  the US originates 60%+ of all spam.  Should the US be
> blacklisted by all other countries?  What's your acceptable
> false-positive cutoff?

My company has a little bureau in the US, I read mailinglists from US,
etc., so I can't to that. If 60% of my spam came from china, yes, I'd
block them.

> Again:  there are accurate, effective, specific filtering tools and
> combat techniques available which _both_ protect your Inbox _and_ allow
> for legitimate DynIP mailservers.

1. Proof that

2. There is no technology that let's my "real" server deal with another
one with DynIP, since a DynIP is _dynamic_. My real mailserver cannot
communicate with a machine that is "gone".

Bye, Ratti

--
 -o)    fontlinge  | Font management for Linux  | Schriftenverwaltung in Linux
 /\\                                  http://freshmeat.net/projects/fontlinge/