Re: Monitor has shadows

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 15:22:36 -0600
Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:

> On the one card: RIVA TNT2 Model 64 I have a Samsung SyncMaster 750S.
> On the other one: GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X I have a Samsung
> Syncmaster 753DFX.
>
> The latter clearly the high-priced spread, but...
> on that monitor I get "shadows". Everything, the windowframes, the
> characters, throw faint shadows. The cheaper spread is clear as a
> bell.

The recent "value" cards from about all brands (GeForce MX series,
Radeon 9[01256]00 non-pro, all onboard sets, ...) use very chep signal
filters for the analog output meaning that the image they send to the
monitor is likely to be bad and there's nothing you can do about it as
long as you aren't some kind of electronics god with a good fab at your
disposal. This problem seems to have come up relatively recently
(last 3 or 4 years) and your older TNT2 might very well use
relatively "high-end" filter elements.

If your MX400 has a DVI output, you could connect an LCD panel with
digital input which should not have this problem. For 2D workstations I
would recommend getting something that was never aimed at the gamer or
low-end market like some Matrox cards. Those "office-grade" cards are
not exactly cheap but worth their price if you want to have a good
picture.

--
Got Backup?

Jabber: Shadowdancer at jabber.fsinf.de