Re: Problems getting dialup to work

Walter Dnes wrote:

 Thanks.  It works.  Now for another modem question.  According to
/proc/pci I have an internal device on another PC...

Bus  0, device  16, function  0:
 Serial controller: US Robotics/3Com 56K FaxModem Model 5610 (rev 1).
   IRQ 9.
   I/O at 0x1430 [0x1437].

 Not only did it work on Windows 98SE the previous millenium, but it
also worked on Redhat Linux, so it's a real modem.

That doesn't mean it's a real modem, just that it works with Linux, perhaps with a "linmodem"-style driver (hopefully freely available, and not some proprietary part of RH). Still, that's good news.

According to thread starting at http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user@lists.debian.org/msg68884.html, Hoyt got his working in Debian by using wvdial. googling might provide even more clues. Sorry I'm not really of help, other than to confirm that this model does work in Debian.