PCMCIA Woes

Hi.

I have a compaq armada m300 trying to configure a 3Com 10/100 LAN Cardbus.
Model 3CCFE575BT.  I have tried to get pcmcia working on sarge, but to no
avail. I would like it to work with dhcp. I have the same problem working
with every kernel I've tried (even ones I've built myself.) Running
/etc/init.d/pcmcia start activates the card and cardctl status and cardctl
ident both show the correct card. lspci -v also shows it.

But when I run ifconfig, it only shows the loopback interface. I cannot
get eth0 to show up. Its supposed to be on dhcp.  ifconfig eth0 outputs

My /etc/network/interfaces reads,

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

#This entry was created during the Debian Installation
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

I did notice that when I run "/etc/pcmcia/network start eth0" I only
get (and I'm not sure if this is useful.  I can't decipher what the
script is doing, but maybe someone out there can);

usage: /etc/pcmcia/network [action] [device name]
actions: start check stop suspend resume

In other words, its acting as if I never put in any arguments in the
first place.

Running "sh -x /etc/pcmcia/network start eth0" as per the
PCMCIA-HOWTO troubleshooting part recommends gives the following output.

ACTION=start
DEVICE=eth0
NEW_SCHEME=
get_info eth0
'[' -d /var/lib/pcmcia ']'
STAB=/var/run/stab
'[' -f /var/lib/pcmcia/scheme ']'
'[' -f /var/run/pcmcia-scheme ']'
cat /var/lib/misc/pcmcia-scheme
SCHEME=
'[' -z '' '['
SCHEME=default
grep_stab eth0
local CLASS DEV
read SOCKET CLASS DRIVER INSTANCE DEV MAJOR MINOR
'[' Socket '!=' Socket -a eth0 = device '['
read SOCKET CLASS DRIVER INSTANCE DEV MAJOR MINOR
return 1
usage
echo 'usage: /etc/pcmcia/network [action] [device name]'
usage: /etc/pcmcia/network [action] [device name]
echo ' actions: start check stop suspend resume'
actions: start check stop suspend resume
exit 1

I'm guessing that the line that says, '[' Socket '!=' Socket -a
eth0 = device '[' is where the problem is, but I have no idea how to
rectify this.

Anyone have any ideas how I can get my PCMCIA card working?

Thanks in advance.

_____
Peter Quackenbush