Re: My Debian box can't connect Internet

Dear Stephen,

You didn't say what kind of broadband you want to connect to. There would be a difference between adsl and cable, as well as pppoe and adsl with a fixed address.

I'm not an expert, but I just yesterday connect to adsl (using pppoe). If that describes your situation, try running "pppoeconf" - it's fairly intuitive and it worked well for me.

As for using "ping", I understand that many web sites are blocking the ping command (or am I wrong about this?).  I'm using Guarddog as a firewall, and I've also got ping blocked.

regards,
Robert